PFM’s nationwide higher education finance practice is currently seeking an experienced professional interested in furthering his/her career. We have a senior-level opening in our Western region for the successful candidate to assist with municipal bond transactions, client project management, and new business development in the higher education space.
The level at which this position will be hired (either Project Manager or Director) will depend on the experience of the selected candidate.
PFM is a national leader in providing independent financial advice as well as investment advisory, management and consulting services to local, state, and regional government and non-profit clients. Our financial advisory firm provides bond pricing, debt management, and financial consulting services to state and local governments. For four decades, PFM has built a solid presence in the municipal marketplace.
The applicant should have a superior understanding of the financial markets, experience supporting higher education clients in public sector finance, advisory services, consulting, and/or underwriting, and a demonstrated ability to manage and grow a business plan. Travel will be required as client needs dictate. When not traveling, this position will be based in PFM’s Los Angeles or San Francisco, CA offices.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Maintain & expand existing relationships with higher education clients to support growing business
• Develop full range of financial solutions and quantitatively analyze options to meet our clients’ capital financing needs;
• Generate & coordinate client deliverables, including the successful implementation of financing transactions;
• Manage financing teams and oversee timely performance by all professionals;
• Present financial analysis, reports and other materials to clients at meetings;
• Provide leadership and training of financial analysts and associate staff; and
• Collaborate across multiple internal & external teams to support the long-term growth of the business practice.
Successful candidates come from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds. A 4-year college degree is required for this role.
The ideal candidate will be a senior relationship management and business development professional with a demonstrated track record of success in a debt issuance and/or long-term financial planning role within the non-profit higher education sector and progressively increasing levels of responsibility. In addition, the individual must possess an intimate knowledge of the business and regulatory issues that face higher education institutions.
In addition, candidates should possess the following skills and experience:
• 10+ years of relevant work experience in the public sector/municipal finance, infrastructure finance, banking or financial services arena, demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility. Demonstrated knowledge of / non-profit higher education contacts within the Western region strongly preferred.
• MSRB Series 50 licensure is strongly preferred upon hire (candidates without the Series 50 will be considered but must obtain said licensure within 6 months of hire).
• Familiarity with transactions including complex financial modeling and analysis. Strong quantitative, problem solving and analytical skills are a must.
• Ability to think and act strategically and manage a team with a long term perspective.
• Demonstrated ability to build and execute upon a strategic business plan and identify/cultivate new business opportunities that align with the firm's / offices strategic objectives.
• Ability to analyze a client situation and develop solutions reflecting the client’s policy objectives & constraints as well as relevant financial parameters.
• Detail oriented with strong organization skills.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and presentation abilities for interaction with clients, superiors, and colleagues.
• Demonstrates flexibility when approaching complex situations and often uses creative methods/solutions to meet objectives and avoid negative outcomes.
• Outstanding project management skills with proven ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to a changing, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to operate successfully in a collaborative team environment. Actively promotes team success and encourages others to contribute to the needs of the client. Insists on accountability of self and others.
• Demonstrates unwavering integrity and instills confidence in others.
• Desire to improve processes, take initiative and create solutions.
• Strong working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, incentive bonus potential, and a comprehensive benefits package. PFM also offers participation in a profit sharing and 401K program.
PFM is an equal opportunity employer (EOE, M/F/D/V) and maintains a drug-free workplace.