Public Financial Management, Inc. (PFM) is currently seeking an experienced professional interested in furthering his/her career in the field of public finance. We have an opening for a Project Manager (internally titled “Senior Managing Consultant”) to assist with the development and expansion of our Environmental Finance Group. This position utilizes traditional municipal bond transactions, as well as a variety of direct and structured products in a developing market. Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Program, or similar land-secured municipal finance experience is a plus.
This client development and project management professional will be based in Los Angeles. The individual hired will be required to travel frequently, sometimes for multiple days in a row.
PFM is a national leader in providing independent financial advice as well as investment advisory, management and consulting services to local, state, and regional government and non-profit clients. Our financial advisory firm provides financial consulting, transaction (and program) management, bond pricing, and debt management to state and local governments as well as non-profit institutions. For four decades, PFM has built a solid presence in the municipal marketplace.
The applicant should have a superior understanding of the financial markets, experience working in public sector finance, advisory services, consulting, and/or underwriting and a demonstrated ability to manage and grow a business plan. Candidates should possess a genuine interest in and at least a basic understanding of environmental finance with the desire and capacity to continue learning about new structures and their appropriate applications for our municipal clients.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Maintain & expand existing relationships with financial advisory clients to support growing business (travel may be required as client engagements dictate);
• Develop full range of financial solutions and quantitatively analyze options to meet our clients’ capital financing needs;
• Generate & coordinate client deliverables, including the successful implementation of financing transactions;
• Identify ways to enhance and provide ongoing value for clients that have engaged PFM to serve as their Independent Registered Municipal Advisor (“IRMA”) for “programmatic” financing tools (e.g. Property Assessed Clean Energy, “PACE,” On-Bill financing, Community Choice Aggregation, “CCA,” etc.)
• Manage financing teams and oversee timely performance by all professionals;
• Present financial analysis, reports and other materials to clients at meetings, and potentially to governing boards when necessary;
• Provide leadership and training of financial analysts and associate staff; and
• Collaborate across multiple internal & external teams to support the long-term growth of the business practice.
Successful candidates come from a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds. A 4-year college degree is required for this role.
In addition, candidates should possess the following skills and experience:
• Five or more years of relevant work experience in the public sector/municipal finance, infrastructure finance, banking or financial services arena, demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility. MSRB Series 50 licensure is strongly preferred upon hire (candidates without the Series 50 will be considered but must obtain said licensure within 6 months of hire).
• Familiarity with transactions including complex financial modeling and analysis. Strong quantitative, problem solving and analytical skills are a must.
• Ability to think and act strategically and manage a team with a long term perspective.
• Ability to build and execute upon a strategic business plan and identify/cultivate new business opportunities that align with the firm's / and environmental finance group’s strategic objectives.
• Ability to analyze a client situation and develop solutions reflecting the client’s policy objectives & constraints as well as relevant financial parameters.
• Detail oriented with strong organization skills.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and presentation abilities for interaction with clients, superiors, and colleagues.
• Demonstrates flexibility when approaching complex situations and often uses creative methods/solutions to meet objectives and avoid negative outcomes.
• Exceptional listener that demonstrates ability to identify problem(s) within a set of circumstances in order to address with the appropriate solution.
• Outstanding project management skills with proven ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to a changing, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to operate successfully in a collaborative team environment. Actively promotes team success and encourages others to contribute to the needs of the client. Insists on accountability of self and others.
• Demonstrates unwavering integrity and instills confidence in others.
• Desire to improve processes, take initiative and create solutions.
• Strong working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, incentive bonus potential, and a comprehensive benefits package including participation in a profit-sharing and 401K program.
PFM is an equal opportunity employer (EOE, M/F/D/V) and maintains a drug-free workplace.